Submitted by: Stella C. from Italy
Recipe Source Country: Czech Republic
Cooking/Prep time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Ingredients (for 4 portions):
- 700 g of pork belly or shoulder
- 3 large onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of cumin salt
- 2 potato dumplings
- 750 g of sterilized cabbage
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 tablespoon of lard
- sugar, vinegar, salt
- Heat the oven to 180°C. We clean the meat and cut it into 3 cm cubes. Peel an onion and cut it into cubes. Peel the garlic and wipe with a little salt or squeeze.
- Put meat in a baking dish, sprinkle with onions, and add garlic, cumin, and salt. Mix everything thoroughly with your hands and spread it over the entire surface of the baking dish. Pour a little water and place it in a baking dish, where we bake the meat for 45 to 60 minutes.
- While roasting the meat, we take out the cabbage from the glass and squeeze out the excess infusion, which we keep aside. Peel an onion and cut it into small cubes.
- Heat the lard in a casserole, glaze the onion on it, and immediately dust with flour. Stir and fry slightly. Then add the cabbage and mix again. Depending on how much water the cabbage has released, add the stored infusion or a little water and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. In the end, taste and, if necessary, season with salt, sugar, and vinegar. We keep warm.
- Remove the meat from the baking dish from the oven. It should be baked nicely brown with juice at the bottom of the baking tray. If the juice is too baked for us, we put the meat aside and put a few tablespoons of hot water in a baking dish and place it on the stove. Let the water boil the water a little, or release the baked goods from the bottom of the baking tray. Then we return the meat, mix everything and we can serve it together with potato dumplings and cabbage.
Tip: we should bake the Moravian sparrow in a larger cast iron pot. We can also easily enrich this classic if we prepare extra fried onions aside, which we add to the dumplings and cabbage.
I like this recipe because I love the way all the three main foods taste together and when I eat it I remember how many times I and my friends in a school run for when it was at our school canteen!